I am such a fan of Mexican food! I ate it all throughout my pregnancy (all I craved), and I’m currently still obsessed with it! I love everything about the juicy flavors and different concoctions you can make with a simple tortilla! MEXICAN FOOD IS MY FAVORITE!
Anyway, I’ve been trying to practice what I preach in the area of health and nutrition and I’ve been doing everything under the sun to keep me on the right track. I believe in practicing the art of falling in love with real food! Finding alternatives to your favorites and enjoying the hell out of them (without overindulgence) is going to help you establish better eating habits and won’t deprive you of the foods you already love! Sometimes, it’s as simple as changing out ingredients in a recipe or making a home cooked meal instead of going out to your favorite food joint!
This Chipotle copy cat recipe is as real as it gets! Especially, on those days when you are wanting a “cheat meal.” I promise you’ll enjoy this pulled pork recipe without all that extra regret! It is so tender and juicy on the inside and crisp with golden edges on the outside! Did I mention also ridiculously easy?!? Here is what you’ll need…
4 pounds boneless Pork Loin or Pork Shoulder
2 oranges juiced
2 lemons juiced
1 white onion
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp dry parsley
1 Tbs oregano
1 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs dry yellow mustard
3-4 tsp Salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Rinse and pat dry the pork loin or shoulder with a paper towel
2. In the bowl of the slow cooker, add pork and all ingredients listed above.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours until the meat falls apart.
4. Remove pork onto a baking dish and use to forks to shred apart (do not discard liquid)
To crisp in oven:
1. Set oven to 350
2. Pour about 1/2 cup of liquid onto the pork in the baking dish.
3. Broil for 5-10 minutes until the outer edges become crispy and golden.
This carnitas recipe is so versatile you can serve the pork in tacos, burritos, or in a salad the options are endless! Serve with a side of cilantro, red onion, and avocado for authentic carnitas tacos!