I am passionate about the power of healing foods! I became passionate because of own and familial health concerns. I am always trying to look for ways to help my family be as healthy as possible. Maybe, Im a borderline freak when it comes to this, but oh well! While doing my own thorough research, I grew to fall in love with medicinal foods. There is a reason why certain diseases are much more prominent today than they were centuries ago when all we relied on a hunter/gatherer diet.
Ladies and gentlemen, there is no miracle pill that can completely take away our problems! Taking a “magic pill” that suppresses your symptoms is not going to heal you in any way! Instead, it will simply mask the issue at hand leaving you with an unhealthy mindset that says, there is no hope for you! Of course, we should not go without taking the traditional medicines we need. However, man made medicine is not our only solution to healing disease and feeling better from the inside out! In reality, there is more we can do and its found at the grocery store! God gave us beautiful, healthy and colorful foods of the earth for our benefit!
Disease feeds off of toxic/acidic bodies and our goal should be to starve disease by feeding it foods that are alkalizing! An alkaline body means NO DISEASE! I am guilty of consuming acidic unhealthy foods, but when you know better you do better! So lets choose today, to feed our bodies with the proper nutrition it needs to THRIVE! Lets not allow our genetics to dictate our future! Lets take control of what we put into our bodies today!
Below, are my top 10 favorite superfoods that I never like to go without! I love to use them in many ways and even feed them to my baby!
Disclaimer: I am not a Doctor or registered dietician. Please consult with your Doctor if you have any concerns. ?
MY TOP 10 FAVORITE SUPERFOODS, WHY THEY ARE GOOD FOR YOU, HOW I CONSUME THEM
- reduces risk of cancer, provides relief of menstrual cramps, boosts bone health, aids in digestion, regulates high sugar levels
- I cut the ginger and put chunks of it in my smoothies/smoothie bowls
- Avocados contain critical healthy fats! They are also filled with various antioxidants, trace minerals and vitamins too! Avocados improve your heart health, hormonal imbalances and digestive health! They have tons of fiber, folate and potassium. They also contain high amounts of protein and are low in sugar leaving you filled with goodness!
- Lets be honest, what can you not make with avocados?! I personally like to eat them any time of the day and they go great with any meal as a side item and of course, who doesn’t love guacamole! I also add them to smoothies for a boost of healthy fats and for a thicker/creamier consistency. You can also get creative and make sweet treats out of them such as brownies and chocolate mousse!
- Okay, this is probably my favorite superfood not because it tastes great but because of its incredible medicinal benefits! Its an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-tumor, anti fungal, antibacterial basically anti-everything! This is root is know to be a cancer fighter/preventative! It balances cholesterol levels, protects the liver and is a natural blood thinner! Also, taken over time, turmeric has helped rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis! I encourage you ALL to start benefitting from this powerful root! This south east asian gem can be consumed internally and also applied externally for skin problems such as eczema! ( although it will stain the skin)
- I use turmeric as a powder in many different dishes such as curry. You can also purchase this root in capsule form if you don’t like it’s bitter pungent taste! Making “Golden Milk” tea is popular or simply add it to smoothies or juices! I suggest consuming turmeric on a daily basis in whatever way you would prefer for health maintenance! Want the “Golden Milk” recipe? Get it Here.
- As you all know, berries are amazing and delicious! They are filled with antioxidants needed to fight stress and free radicals that lead to illness! They also help protect your skin and hair and improve vitality! They can also aid in weightless because they help you feel full while also improving your mental sharpness!
- We love berries in our home and when we run out we quickly go out and buy more! I use berries in all of my smoothies and breakfast bowls or as a quick healthy snack!
- This cruciferous vegetable is packed with vitamins and minerals and also contains high amounts of iron! Cruciferous veggies are also cancer fighters and when juiced, you can reap its optimal benefits! However, if you have hypothyroidism ( such as myself) you want to only consume up to 5 ounces a day because they block the ability to absorb iodine needed for normal thyroid.
- I add small amounts to salads and smoothies!
- Oh garlic, how I love you! Garlic has tons of vitamins and is low in calories! Garlic can help fight sickness such as the common cold! It also reduces blood pressure, improves cholesterol levels and is high in antioxidants!
- I personally add garlic to all of my savory dishes because its simply delicious and nutritious so why the heck not! Am I right?
- Cha Cha Cha Chia! The benefits to these seeds are plentiful! They provide a great amount of energy boosting power! Chia is native to Mexico and it means “strength”in the Mayan language. These tiny seeds are also high in Omega 3s, protein and fiber which promotes healthy skin (reducing signs of aging), supports the heart and digestive system and helps build strong bones/muscles and more!
- I add chia to all of my smoothies, breakfast bowls, smoothie bowls and even make overnight chia pudding! I also have a “noatmeal” recipe that you can locate on my blog under healthy foods! Noatmeal recipe is here! Tell me what you think!
- Man, I love myself a juicy red grapefruit! This pretty citrus has valuable enzymes that boost metabolism and aids weight loss! Kinase, is a protein found in grapefruit that is activated during excersize to help muscles use stored sugar and fat for energy making this fruit a natural pre-workout! It is also an anti-inflammatory and skin cleanser! Its enzymes help deactivate carcinogens which means this fruit can also help fight cancer!
- I eat this beautiful citrus alone for breakfast, before a workout, or broil it in the oven! I also sometimes cut it into a salad or salsa or I just juice it and enjoy it as a drink! You can even use the juice to marinate chicken for a fresh tasting recipe!
- Unlike coco, cacao is minimally processed and the rawest form of chocolate! It also has high levels of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins! It also improves your mood and cognitive performance! Finally, It lowers blood pressure, protects your heart and regulates insulin levels.
- I don’t use cacao as often as the other superfoods I’ve mentioned. However, I equally love its benefits and the fact that I can create delicious chocolatey treats but still feel no guilt after consuming. Some of my favorite ways to use this powder is in smoothies and baked goods! I purchased a big bag of cacao on amazon here.
I hope you found some of this information useful and encourage you all to share with your loved ones!